Tuesday 3 May 2011

Planning Permission For Fencing

For General guidance

An application for planning permission will need to be made if you wish to erect or add to garden fencing, walls or gates in certain circumstances:
  • Planning permission will be needed for any fence over 1 meter high if the location of the fence will be next to a used by vehicles or if the fencing is over 2m and is to be located elsewhere.
  • If your house is a listed building or is adjoining a listed building then an application will have to be made.
You do NOT have to apply for planning permission to take down any fence, wall,or gate, or to alter or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height.
In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.
You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on "open plan" estates, or where a driver's sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent.
Note that fencing, walls and gates do not require building regulation approval.
Although building regulations do not apply, the structures must be structurally sound and maintained.
These notes are for general guidance only.
Useful information can be found at government’s official planning portal or if in doubt always contact your Local Planning Authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment