Tuesday 17 May 2011

Garden ideas for small spaces

Small Garden ideasIf you only have a small outdoor area there are many products out there to help you get the most out of your garden.

Raised beds are an excellent way of creating different levels, whilst maximizing the limited space, to your garden also to act as a handy seating area. Raised beds can be purchased in kits but another couple of ways of creating raised beds is to use our decking boards, with the grooved affect on the boards giving it a textured design or Jakwall, our unique timber retaining wall

With small spaces why not try creating a vertical garden with trellis on the walls to encourage flowers to grow up rather than spread throughout the ground. 

If Fencing Panels are required for a little privacy then Venetian panels that give the solitude that is sought after but at the same time allow light to pass horizontal pales.  Another option is to have trellis Toppers on top of fencing or walls.

Tuesday 3 May 2011

Planning Permission For Fencing

For General guidance

An application for planning permission will need to be made if you wish to erect or add to garden fencing, walls or gates in certain circumstances:
  • Planning permission will be needed for any fence over 1 meter high if the location of the fence will be next to a used by vehicles or if the fencing is over 2m and is to be located elsewhere.
  • If your house is a listed building or is adjoining a listed building then an application will have to be made.
You do NOT have to apply for planning permission to take down any fence, wall,or gate, or to alter or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height.
In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate.
You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on "open plan" estates, or where a driver's sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent.
Note that fencing, walls and gates do not require building regulation approval.
Although building regulations do not apply, the structures must be structurally sound and maintained.
These notes are for general guidance only.
Useful information can be found at government’s official planning portal or if in doubt always contact your Local Planning Authority.